Wednesday, June 27, 2012 | 1:06 PM
We’ve seen Google+ Hangouts being used in the most creative and innovative ways, connecting fans, facilitating debates, and making a difference in people’s lives.
Three months ago, we launched the Google+ Hangouts API, with the belief that developers can build even more memorable experiences and activities inside the face-to-face-to-face setting of hangouts. The response so far has been exciting.
In the 90 days since we launched apps in hangouts, we’ve seen:
- over 200 apps built for hangouts
- the average duration of a hangout increase by 2.5 times when participants use an app
- 1 in every 3 hangouts use an app.
- Google Art Project: Explore collections from around the world with thousands of artworks photographed in extremely high resolution. You can play an art guide and take your friends on a tour of different museums.
- New YouTube App: Create, control, save and even share playlists of videos with friends—all inside a hangout. It’s like your own VIP table at the world’s coolest YouTube party.
- New Effects App: One of the most popular hangout apps gets more fun with a brand new UI and with the introduction of new effects.
- Symphonical: Conduct your business meetings and manage projects in real-time using the Symphonical app for hangouts.
- MiniClip 8-ball Pool: Challenge friends to a game of pool with real-time stats tracking.
- A Story Before Bed: Family hangouts just got better with this app. Pick a storybook from the shelf and read it to your loved ones.
- Panoramio Game: Compete with friends to be the most precise wanderer by finding out where a photo was taken while traveling around the world with Google Maps through stunning Panoramio photos. If you are the best, you get to choose your next destination.
- Cheer On: Root for your favorite sports team by customizing your video appearance in a hangout. With so many sporting events coming up this summer, this is one app you must have next time you are in a hangout.